During the summer months, my motivation to exercise always tends to dwindle. The weather is just so nice and instead of sweating it out at the gym, I would much rather be outside by the pool, on a picnic, or road tripping. UNTIL NOW. Here are 5 reasons why I love stand-up paddle boarding:
1) Paddle boarding is a great full body workout. When you really get into it an average woman can burn up to 800 calories per hour. Aside from the great cardiovascular exercise, paddle boarding will also help strengthen muscles. Paddle boarding mostly works your core muscles, but also strengthens your arms, legs, butt, and even feet.
2) Another health plus ~ spending a little time paddle boarding in the sun will up your dose of vitamin D, which boosts the immune system, helps your skin heal, and protects your body against microbes.
3) The view from the water is gorgeous. Finding a beautiful spot to paddle board is very important! Another great thing about paddle boarding ~ it's a great and fun way to get a workout while on vacation. Going out early in the morning will ensure calm waters and a stunning view.
4) It is super easy to pick up. First off, you only need a few pieces of equipment, a board (I like SUP boards like these), a paddle, and a life jacket (only cool people wear life jackets ~ safety first!). It's also really simple and easy to learn. I may or may not have fallen into the water at least 7 times on my first outing. However, by the second time I was a pro... and only fell in three times...
5) It's fun! I don't think I have had such a blast exercising in such a long time! Going with a group of friends makes it even more fun!
|Via Jimmy Lewis|